Visa (Non EU) Students

Immigration Procedure (International Students)

Visas to study in Ireland?

Some students wishing to study in Ireland require a study visa, others do not. All EU students can study in Ireland without a study visa.. Other non-EU students may need a study visa. Non-EU students are also required to register with the authorities upon arrival in Ireland. We will advise you on this process prior to enrollment and help you through the process after arrival.

Since April 2011, all non-European (EEA) students must study either morning or afternoon time only. It is not permissble to study at night time.

Our courses listed are for a fixed duration of consecutive weeks and can not be altered or broken. They attract a similar length visa and do not give extra weeks holidays or vacation. So for example a 26-week course grants a 26-week visa.

There is a concession granted by the Irish authorities to allow non-European students (enrolled on approved courses through recognised providers) to work part-time whilst studying but also to work full time whilst on holidays from school. These are commonly referred to as "Academic year" programmes. Generally it would involve a course of 26 consecutive weeks followed by 26 weeks of "vacation" during which time the student is permitted to remain in the state to work full time. A 1-year visa or permission stamp would be granted at initial registration by the Garda National Immigration Bureau if a student enrols on such a programme. There is a limited availability of these style of courses, if you are interested please contact us for further information.

Immigration Regulations


You do not require an entry visa for Ireland if you are an EU citizen.

If you are not an EU citizen, the situation varies, there are many countries that do not require visas. Please see below for a list of non-EU countries whose citizens do not require visas.

You can contact your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate to find out whether or not you require an entry visa or you may enquire from the Department of Foreign Affairs at the address provided below. The Department also provides a list of countries whose citizens require visas for Ireland.

The following addresses will provide you with detailed information on immigration:

Department of Foreign Affairs,
80 St Stephen's Green,
Dublin 2

Tel: 353 1 4780822
Fax: +353-1-6331052/1053


Applicants are asked to supply the following information when applying for a visa to their local Irish Embassies:

  • Valid passport number
  • Date of issue and expiry of passport
  • Date, place and mode of arrival in Ireland
  • Letter from The English Academy indicating that you have been offered a place.
  • Letter from The English Academy indicating that the fees have been paid in full
  • Evidence of sufficient funds to cover living and other expenses for the proposed stay
  • Recent passport photographs
  • Visa application fee (non-refundable)
  • Proof of medical insurance

These documents should be sent to your local Irish Embassy. Visa applications can take between 4 and 12 weeks to process, so it is advisable to secure a place with The English Academy early in order to avoid disappointment. Unfortunately we have no control or influence over visa issues but will advise where possible.

Registration with the Immigration Authorities in Ireland:

Students from outside the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA)

All students from outside the EU or the EEA must register at the Garda National Immigration Bureau ( ) (GNIB). The date by which you must do so will be indicated by the Immigration Authorities at your point of arrival into

When registering with GNIB you will need to take along:

  • A valid passport
  • An entry visa (where applicable)
  • Evidence of financial support (e.g. current bank statement indicating your name / a letter of guarantee from a parent or guardian indicating the availability of sufficient funds to cover you during your period of stay in Ireland / letter from your sponsor, confirming financial status)
  • Proof of your residential address in Dublin, e.g. a utility bill showing your name and address or a letter from your landlord/student residence confirming your address.
  • A letter from your Insurance Company (or English Academy) confirming that you have adequate medical cover.
  • There is a Department of Justice, Equality & Law Reform charge of €150 each time you register. This can be paid by credit card. Otherwise the Immigration Officer will issue you with a bank giro form and request you to complete this and return again with confirmation that it has been paid.
Re-entry Visas

Your first visa for Ireland will be a single entry visa. If you have a valid reason for leaving Ireland for a short period of time, you must apply for a Re-entry visa in advance of making any arrangements. The Reception will provide you with a letter for this purpose provided that you have registered with GNIB and are attending your course. Supporting evidence of the above will be requested before a letter can be issued. If you are travelling from Ireland to a country other than your own country, it is your responsibility to find out if you require a visa for the third country. NOTE: a visa must be obtained from the UK authorities prior to travelling to Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland consists of Counties Antrim, Armagh, Derry, Down, Fermanagh and Tyrone. You will also require a visa to re-enter the Republic of Ireland. A multi-entry visa will allow you to leave and re-enter the State any number of times within the dates shown on your visa.

Study Visa Renewal

You are responsible for renewing your GNIB registration card each time it expires. The English Academy will issue a letter to GNIB to support this, provided you have been attending your course and fulfilling all the necessary requirements. Any breach of your visa conditions will lead to a review of your case and possible removal from the State and/or bar on re-entry. Garda National Immigration Bureau Address Garda National Immigration Bureau 13-14 Burgh Quay Dublin 2 Tel: +353-1-6669100

Opening Hours: to Monday - Thursday & 9.30 am to 4pm Friday.

Students from the EU/EEA:

It is not necessary for students from the EU or EEA to register with the immigration authorities.

Checklist of Documents Needed on Arrival

Please ensure that you have the following documents upon arrival in Ireland:

EU/EEA Citizens:
  • Passport or National Identity Card
  • European Health Insurance Card
Non-EU Citizens:
  • Passport
  • Birth Certificate
  • Entry Visa (if applicable)
  • Private Health Insurance
  • Acceptance letter from The English Academy
  • Letter from The English Academy, stating that you have paid your fees in full

List of Countries Whose Passport Holders Do Not Require Visas to Enter Ireland:

  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belize
  • Brunei
  • Croatia
  • Dominica
  • Finland
  • Grenada
  • Hong Kong (SAR)*
  • Italy
  • Korea (Rep of South)
  • Lithuania
  • Malta
  • Nauru
  • Macau (SAR)*
  • Poland
  • Saint Vincent and The Grenadines
  • Slovenia
  • Swaziland
  • Trinidad & Tobago
  • Uruguay
  • Western Samoa
  • Bulgaria
  • Slovak Republic
  • Antigua & Barbuda
  • Bahamas
  • Bolivia
  • Canada
  • Cyprus
  • El Salvador
  • France
  • Guatemala
  • Hungary
  • Latvia
  • Luxembourg
  • Mauritius
  • Netherlands
  • Maldives
  • Portugal
  • Solomon Islands
  • Sweden
  • Tuvala
  • Vanuata
  • Paraguay
  • Argentina
  • Barbados
  • Botswana
  • Chile
  • Czech Republic
  • Estonia
  • Germany
  • Guyana
  • Iceland
  • Japan
  • Lesotho
  • Malawi
  • Mexico
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • San Marino
  • South Africa
  • Switzerland
  • U.S.A.
  • Vatican City
  • Romania
  • Australia
  • Belgium
  • Brazil
  • Costa Rica
  • Denmark
  • Fiji
  • Greece
  • Honduras
  • Israel
  • Kiribati
  • Liechtenstein
  • Malaysia
  • Monaco
  • Nicaragua
  • Panama
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saychelles
  • Spain
  • Tonga
  • UK & Colonies**
  • Venezuela
Hong Kong (SAR)*

A person in possession of a Hong Kong Certificate of Identify requires an entry visa for the State. Persons who are holders of British Hong Kong Passport who have a right of abode in Great Britain do not require entry visas. Persons who are holders of a British Hong Kong Passport who have a right of abode in Hong Kong only do not require entry visas but they are subject to full foreign national controls in respect of registration, permission to remain, work permits etc.

**British Dependent Territories (Colonies):

Anguilla, Bermuda, British Antarctic Territory (South Georgia, South Sandwich Islands), British Indian Ocean Territory (Chagos Archipelago, Peros Banos, Diego Garcia, Danger Island), Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands and Dependencies, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn (Henderson, Ducie and Oneno Islands), St. Helena and Dependencies (Ascension Island, Tristan Da Cunha), The Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia), Turks and Caicos Island, British Virgin Islands.

Transit Visas Are Required by Citizens of the Following:
  • Afghanistan
  • Democratic Republic of Congo
  • Iraq
  • Montenegro
  • Somalia
  • Albania
  • Ethiopia
  • Ghana
  • Lebanon
  • Nigeria
  • Sri Lanka
  • Cuba
  • Erritrea
  • Iran
  • Moldova
  • Serbia

The above information is currently accurate. However, please consult the website of the Department of Foreign Affairs in Ireland regularly for changes to the above: